Dungeons dungeons and more 3D printed dungeons.

One of the main reasons for getting a 3D printer was to make terrain and buildings for tabletop games like D&D. While you can buy interconnected wall bits and floors online they have a hefty price tag that goes with that convenience of pre made models.  

IMG_1657.JPG

This set comes from a free set of models on thingiverse that I’ll properly link to soon. This openforge set is called “cut stone walls/floors” and looks good in this marble filament. I like that the tiles are the proper size for official dnd minis and can be rearranged however we want for the campaign. It has that inside of bowsers castle look to it that can be used on its own, however husband wants to paint them up for extra effect. 

Ill post more soon when I get the rest of the walls and corners printed tomorrow.  

Pumpkin Spice PLA

I recently ordered some sample filaments off Amazon to test out. Whole rolls of Porto-Pasta are not exactly cheap, but a 50g coil will let you see what it can do before investing.  

IMG_1538.JPG

This is their cinnamon filled htpla that I've printed Melisandre's necklace in. The stone is off an other brands sample transparent red pla.  

IMG_1573.JPG

The print was thin enough to shape with a hairdryer and has held its shape since.  While it did smell like cinnamon while being printed, the smell wasn't overpowering and does go away once the part is cooled. 

Calibrations!

So one of the issues I ran into was prints getting goopy on one side of the print. The d6 has a single sided cooling fan which means that air only hits one side of the print leaving the other side warmer and prone to drooping.  

IMG_1316.JPG

I printed this circular fan shroud and installed a larger blower fan on the print head to get much more detail in smaller prints. 

IMG_1381.JPG

After this was installed I was able to get really small with the prints: 

IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG

Here you can see a print made before the fan was installed: 

IMG_1007.JPG

Another thing I discovered was that you can't pause a print for very long. I let this 16 hour print pause for an hour and when I resumed it the part was too cool to adhere to new material: 

IMG_1444.JPG

I've recently looked into printing as big as possible: 

IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1430.JPG

This winged victory was scary to clean up because she has super thin wings and robe and I printed her with 0% infill.  

IMG_1448.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG

First 3D Printer

Husband bought me an early birthday present this past week, the Monoprice Maker Ultimate. (AkA, the Wanhao Duplicator 6) I believe there was a sale, as buying a 3d printer was not something we had been planning on lately, but has been really cool to have so far.

We've had it for about a week now and have printed a couple dozen things, mostly silly things and test prints from files I downloaded off yeggi and thingiverse. I've mostly been learning the limitations of the unit but haven't attempted a max print area piece just yet, and limited myself to small prints that take less than 5 hours. My longest print so far has been a modified spool holder for the back of the printer as the stock one was too short for the spare filament we had purchased. 

Most of what I did this week was dial in the settings for the slicer software that came with the printer, a re-skinned version of Cura that has the printers defaults loaded up for you. The first issue I ran into was prints around the edges of the head bed were curling up halfway through the printing process. A quick wipe down with acetone has since fixed that issue for the last 6 days running and all prints are sticking great. So far I've only used PLA to print with, and it seems fine for what we use the prints for. 

Above are some of the pitfalls I've encountered while printing. The solid coins up top left came out fine in smaller formats, but the M's centers snapped off of the smaller versions of the through-hole coins. In the top right pic you can see that not every file you find on the internet will print the way you think it will. I had tried to cut an M from a bottlecap obj file I had found but the mesh decided it wasn't printing today and after a 45 minute check on the print discovered that it was only printing the supports. The bottom left was something I had designed myself to requested specs, however I learned that the printer can't handle such tiny screws just yet and couldn't fit them in. The bottom right image shows a flawless Mickey body but once it go to the ears the single direction of the cooling fan meant that one side of his ear never set before the next wave of filament was put down, resulting in a gooey ear that never stuck to the supports. 

I've also had some really great prints come out. Expect to see more of the DnD mini figures and terrain/houses in the future as that's the main objective of having the printer. I found and printed several wall mounts for the Oculus Rift sensors that fit perfectly. There is a website you can use that will let you upload a photo and convert it into a 3d printed lithophane which was super cool. The top left image is something I made myself for once, it's a travel holster for 30ml unicorn bottles. Of course it took about 3 test prints to get the hole size right as I don't have digital calipers yet but that was kind of fun to do as well. 

Next week I am planning on printing out a blower fan mod for the extruder to fix the uneven cooling issues, so there will be some tests after that with nice big overhangs etc.